Thursday, July 21, 2005

"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree
with them."
- George Bush

I realize that not everyone is talented with language and that there are many kinds of intelligence. Any car mechanic can make me feel like a dolt. So I ask myself, do statements like the one above prove that Bush is stupid? He's smart enough to play the good ole boy to perfection. He's smart enough to follow the advice of smart slimeballs like Rove. After he blew the first debate last fall, he shaped up and acquitted himself much more convincingly in the last two.

Obviously Bush's grip on the language is tenuous, one of the few things about him that amuses me. But it isn't proof positive that he's stupid. His self-righteous arrogance, on the other hand, is less amusing, and about that trait I have no doubts.