Thursday, April 14, 2005

Mike, I want this on a bumper sticker! :)

"The meek shall inherit the earth, just as soon as we kick some right-wing ass."

_______________________________________

Mike Ankelman writes:

At the end of my rant (what? another?), please find a GREAT example of how progressives need to learn to speak to the electorate about complicated issues
like the Terri Schiavo case. I'm not joking. I'm as serious as a hemorrhoidal flare-up on a 100-mile bike ride. This is how it needs to be done.

But first, another example. The Missouri state Republicans (Their Motto: "Making Mississippi look better every day") recently fell all over themselves in
order to pass a bill that would make it illegal to take a picture of any puppy mill without permission, thereby protecting those lawbreakers who operate
illegally substandard puppy mills from any reporters who would dare attempt to disclose their illegalities by securing irrefutable photographic proof.

The Democrats should have compared this bill to making it illegal to take a picture of a criminal robbing a bank, or a drug dealer selling drugs. They
should have held the Republicans responsible for making the disclosure of a crime A CRIME ITSELF. And there's your soundbite for the 5 o'clock news --
"Democrats accuse Republicans of protecting criminal activity for political payback." THEN people would pay attention.

And if you can't make political hay with starving puppies living in their own excrement, hobbling on the painful wire floors of tiny cages with no light or
heat, then turn the freakin' party over to Democracy For America, Americans Coming Together, Move On .Org, and Common Cause.

If we can take pictures of people in their own cars running red lights, if we can take pictures of unsanitary meat-processing practices, it should be legal
to take a picture of a puppy mill or other so-called "animal husbandry facility" to document animal abuse, if admission to said facility was obtained
legally, whether or not by deceit, i.e., going undercover and getting a job at a puppy mill in order to get pictures. 60 Minutes and other news shows do it all
the time. The last time I looked, deceit, itself, was not illegal.

What the Republicans have done, are doing, and will continue to do, is abject political thuggery. It's time to implement some razor-sharp stiletto
tactics, and make Republicans pay dearly for their arrogant audacity.

The meek shall inherit the earth, just as soon as we kick some right-wing ass. (You may quote me.) Here's the afore-promised example (that came to me as a forwarded e-mail, by
the way -- thanks, Beth!) of a great grassroots response to the Terri Schiavo case. It effectively taps the emotive, anti-"guv-mint" sentiments of the
"I.Q.-99-Or-Less-Club" known as the Red State electorate:


New Living Will

I, _________________________ (fill in the blank), being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means.

Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of peckerwood Politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives
depended on it.

If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to sit up and ask for a diet Pepsi, it should be presumed that I won't ever get better. When
such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my spouse, children and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day.

Under no circumstances shall the members of any Legislature enact a special law to keep me on life-support machinery. It is my wish that these
boneheads mind their own damn business, and pay attention instead to the health, education and future of the millions of Americans who aren't in a
permanent coma.

Under no circumstances shall any politicians butt into this case. I don't care how many fundamentalist votes they're trying to scrounge for
their run for the presidency in 2008, it is my wish that they play politics with someone else's life and leave me alone to die in peace.

I couldn't care less if a hundred thousand religious zealots send e-mails to legislators in which they pretend to care about me. I don't know
these people, and I certainly haven't authorized them to preach and crusade on my behalf. They should mind their own business too.

If any of my family goes against my wishes and turns my case into a political cause, I hereby promise to come back from the grave and make his
or her existence a living hell.
_______________________________________

Signature


__________________________________

Witness

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home