Monday, October 04, 2004

Attitudes have changed since VietNam. Americans who disapprove of our misadventure in Iraq don't badmouth the troops this time around. We feel sorry for them being stuck fighting and dying uselessly. So why don't we lefties put Support Our Troops ribbons on our cars? I mean, do any of you have one of those? I don't. Because it doesn't mean what it says. It means instead that the driver supports Bush's invasion of Iraq. And it's a subtle reminder of how the left hated those who risked their lives in VietNam. But it seems to me that the hawks care less about our troops. Otherwise why would they be so callous about sticking them in that unwinnable hellhole.
Yet they get to be self righteous and flaunt their patriotism, and nobody calls them on the hypocrisy of it. It makes my teeth ache.
I wouldn't put one of those stickers on my car because I don't want to be confused with those people. What, if anything, can we do about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home