Monday, August 30, 2004

Is an oil crisis looming? An Insane Planet article asserts that it is: "The US knows damn well that even with heroic levels of environmental vandalism there is no longer any way to scavenge enough oil to supply world demand AS IT IS, much less as it trends." But Victor T. LeVine, professor emeritus of political science at Washington University, would disagree. His column in the Sunday Post says that:
there is no shortage of oil; in fact we've got enough "proved" reserves ("proved" means what we're pretty sure we know is down there, and which we can recover given current costs and technology) to last us until the end of this century, at present rates of consumption. Even if the Chinese double their consumption in the next 10 years, we can still make it to the end of 2099 with our "proved" reserves. ...
There's surprisingly little disagreement about all this if you read the supply data provided by the American Petroleum Institute, the U.S. Department of Energy and the major oil companies.

The question is, if LeVine is correct, am I pleased to hear it? An odd question, you might think, but it isn't really odd when you consider the headline of an op-ed piece from the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday, Aug. 24: "HIGHER OIL PRICES MAY SAVE THE PLANET: WORLDWIDE OIL CONSUMPTION IS SOARING. HIGH PRICES WILL FORCE CUTBACKS THAT HELP CURB ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE." So I repeat: am I pleased that LeVine might be correct? And my answer is, I don't think so. We humans can find alternative sources of energy. We can't find another planet to live on once we ruin the climate on this one.

16 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger jobs123 said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a bbw dating
blog/site. I mostly deals with bbw dating
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Josh said...

You have an interesting blog here. Some of the things people put are kind of strange...

Anyway, I like your blog and will proably be back.

Take care.

P.S. Another cool site I like is a affiliate email marketing marketing mlm site that is about information marketing and a little other stuff.

 
At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

affiliate software is great

i found here searching for the word affiliate software and your site was listed high on the word affiliate software
GOOD JOB

affiliate software

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Johnjon said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about web hosting affiliate related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Water & Fire said...

I have been visiting sites all day and I really like what you have done with your blog. I found your site just after I visited Swimming Pools Idaho
. Kind a lame if you ask me. Who cares.. I'm here now! Have a good one!

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. 1 lost season is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a internet marketing success site/blog. It pretty much covers internet marketing success related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking to change the look of your emails from plain white with black text to a colorful, eye-catching, attention grabbing email, OnLetterhead is the product for you. Go from "White" to "Wow" with one click!

With "OnLetterhead's "Ease of Send & Setup" (EOSS) technology, all the work is done before you type your message! Just click and send and see the results a branded difference can make.
** Real Estate Marketing**

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about mass marketing inc related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking to change the look of your emails from plain white with black text to a colorful, eye-catching, attention grabbing email, OnLetterhead is the product for you. Go from "White" to "Wow" with one click!

With "OnLetterhead's "Ease of Send & Setup" (EOSS) technology, all the work is done before you type your message! Just click and send and see the results a branded difference can make.
**Marketing Strategies for the Future**

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger The Blah Brain said...

Hey, you live in Ithaca? So do I! ha

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger cash advance st louis350 said...

Astonshing blog. I relished in the site and you
know I will be going to it again! Surfing the internet
hepls me to find blogs that arfe just as good.
Check out the blog site with my cash advance san jose california in it!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Kate said...

What an interesting blog you have. I often search the web for articles about love and dating and I found this one. As for new york single there�s a site for singles at http://top-personals.net, take a look. Adult Singles

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

japanese woman seeking man

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ads man personal seeking woman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home